Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Final Post

1. I think that making and adding to my blog has been one of my favorite things in this class. I could see how powerful this could be to a teacher and a student. As a teacher I always made the students keep portfolios in every subject for them to look back and evaluate their performance and see their progress. Now that I look at my blog and I like the final project and all of the progress I have made. I don't know if I would be able to go into as much detail with early childhood students, but it is something I would like to implement. A class blog will be the first thing I will make when I return to teaching. I think constant communication with parents is a must and what a wonderful way to display their work.

I loved everything about Google docs. Being able to access my work anywhere was wonderful. It helped with our group presentations because we were able to collaborate without meeting every time. Since I live across the bay this helped me tremendously. I feel like this will be a very valuable tool for me in the classroom and out. As I have posted before I am growing to love my PLN. It is constantly growing and very organized. I liked making the videocasts and podcasts and think that students would be highly motivated by this. The posts I read within our school were great as well as outside our region. I love examples and this gave me a good way to find ways teachers and students used blogs.

I see now why teachers need to be technology literate. My new challenge is to help the children use it with project based learning. I feel technology is such a wonderful tool that helps us and truly makes our job easier. There are so many resources out there now that help our job. I used to spend a fortune on books and resources for my classroom. I used to make interactive tools by hand. Now they are just a click away.

2. Although I did my substantive presentation on the SMART board, I feel the students need some experience with this before they go into the classroom. For many of the classrooms there is little access to computers, but with a SMART board the students can at least interact and use so many of the tools.

3. There was nothing that I learned that I wished I had not. Google Earth was extremely frustrating, but I can see its usefulness.

4. Although I was extremely overwhelmed, it did excite me. I am excited about what all I can do with my knowledge when I go back into the classroom and how it will benefit the students.

5. I found it all to be intellectually challenging! After being out of college for 13 years this was extremely challenging and kept me very busy. In this course the most challenging was the Google Earth Project.

6. Too busy to be bored!

7. The only thing that I would change would be to consolidate some of the assignments. In the beginning it was very confusing but I eventually got the hang of it.

8. When it comes to being technologically literate I would say I am good and I will be able to use what I have learned and effectively implement it into the classroom.

9. I will maintain my knowledge base by keeping up with EDM 310 and checking to see what you guys are up to. I will also try to continue to develop my PLN and work on leaving an "intellectual trail" in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Who knows. The 3 and 4 year olds are mastering technology right now! Surprises lie ahead and you may be able to do far more than you now think you can in "early childhood." In fact, I would guarantee that will be the case. For good or bad I am not sure. But it is happening!

    Yes, Google Earth has some kinks still to work out. But I think it has enormous teaching possibilities. It will soon be fully integrated into Chrome and maybe Firefox and Safari as well!

    And Google Docs. A favorite of everyone. I was initially surprised at this. I suppose I took Google Docs for granted. But if it is new to you then it is so powerful. And free!

    ReplyDelete