Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Assignment 12














Mr. Chamberlain's Blog

Very sweet! Who would have ever dreamed a group of eighth graders in Missouri would be contacting a 3 year old in Quatar? It amazes me when I see what technology can do. I really thought it was nice the way they made her a voice thread since she isn't able to read. It was a very creative way for them to stay connected and made it much more personal I'm sure Kaia is learning a lot about technology this way. This just goes to show that you're never too young to use and become familiar with technology.

Kaia and Skyelar's Blog

After reading a book called The Last Child in the Woods, Kaia's dad thought it was very important for them to spend time outside getting fresh air, observing nature, and exploring. I too think that most of our children in school today are suffering from "nature deficit disorder". I thoroughly enjoyed reading the girls' blog and looking at the pictures Kaia had taken. The use of technology was very creative in this blog, but these parents are teaching so many other very important lessons at a very young age. Although the land where they live is barren and littered, they still found plenty of beauty by taking a deeper look and teaching their children to look for a unique quality in everything they see.

Singing Hearts

I think this is an excellent use of technology and the connections made were fascinating. This is evidence of putting the internet to great use. What an amazing way to explore other cultures and other areas of the world. Just like a virtual field trip. At the end of Kaia's father's post he asks the question," Is the risk of exposing ourselves and our children online worth the connections that will be made and the lessons that will be learned?"As a mother of two, I am constantly publishing photos on Facebook of my children. I feel almost like it is a journal of my life. I share my trials and tribulations with others and they are able to respond and share their similar experiences. I like the connections that are made . I think that the online world is much safer than many of the risks in the real world. Therefore, I don't see the problem in exposing oneself or children for the sake of learning new information. Kaia's blog was provoking and I am inspired to offer the same connections with my children and future students.

Comments 4 Kids Week 12
A Big Fish by Aaron in the year one class at the PT England School













I caught a big
fish with my fishing rod. By Aaron. (Dictated to the teacher)
Hi Aaron,
My name is Sherik Butler and I am a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I love your drawing. You are very talented. My favorite thing to do when I was little was to go fishing with my dad too. We have lots of places to fish where I am from in Mobile, AL. Do you like to eat fish also? Keep up the great work! Tell your teacher she can check out my blog at http://butlersherikedm310.blogspot.com


1 comment:

  1. Hello Sherik, this is Brooke. I am commenting on your post about Kaia. I loved this assignment. Kaia is an amazing little girl and her post has touched so many people.

    ReplyDelete