Sunday, March 21, 2010

Assignment 10

An Open Letter to Educators by Morgan Bayda



Morgan Bayda is an early childhood education major who is ready for changes when it comes to institutional learning. She says her classes where the professor lectures for two and a half hours, assigns readings, and requires memorization of facts that are not relevant in today's society in which all of the information is right at our fingertips. She compares these classes to her Ed computer class which is a lot like ours in which she uses multimedia tools to collaborate and respond to educators all over the world. She posted Dan Brown's video in which he dropped out of college because he said that his "schooling is interfering with his education."

I am not a typical college student, I am taking this course for professional development. I graduated over 13 years ago. After reading this post, it sounds like college hasn’t changed a lot since I was in school. I agree with her and Dan Brown that institutional learning is quickly changing with technology and the monetary value of it is decreasing. As a mother of two whose children will be in college at the same time, I am hoping that college will be free – or a lot cheaper than it is now when they enter. I agree that institutional education needs to enter the 21st century. It is a change that will take time to adjust. Most will prefer the black and white, right and wrong method. The new offers lots of ambiguity which can scare some people – probably the teachers more than the students.

However, I would not have traded my college education for anything. I am so glad that online courses were not prevalent when I went to school. My education was extremely enjoyable. I loved sitting there and listening and learning from many of my professors. I loved all of the people I met as well. People from all over the world, who I still keep up with today. I prefer face to face interaction. The whole objective of college was to make me an independent learner and prepare me for being a responsible adult. Although there were some courses that seemed boring and irrelevant to me at the time, as a whole it showed my employer that I would be a hard working employee and have the ability to learn and be adaptable to whatever training I were to receive.

Comment 4 Kids Week 10

This week I was assigned to a student named Leo in Mrs. Kolbert's class. He posted a picture and called it My Dead Kitten. I can imagine this was very hard for him. I am glad that he was able to post this picture and share his grief. This must have been very hard for a child this young. I was unable to find out his age, but my guess is he is in a K-2 class. I left the following comment on his page:

Hi Leo,
I am a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I am so sorry to hear about your kitten. That must have been terribly sad. It is very hard to lose a pet. The picture you posted of him is adorable. I bet he was very special, and I am glad you were able to share this with everyone. If you or your teacher would like, you can check out my blog at http://butlersherikedm310.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. It does sound like college classes are typically the same as they were many years ago. Like you, I too am only taking one class after being out of college for many years.
    I see your video came out large also. I had to go in the html tab and change the width and height numbers to get it to shrink down. Try checking out the size in the html on one of your past videos and change your video size to the same as one of your past videos.

    ReplyDelete